Hoverboards also known as ‘Self Balancing electric scooters’ are a fun and easy mode of transport. With several hundred products on the market, all with comparable features, it can be difficult to determine which is the best hoverboard in 2018.
But, after 30 hours of research, extensive testing and consulting, we’ve concluded that the #1 hoverboard on the market is the Swagtron T1. Why?
The Swagtron T1 charges in 1 hour, has an 8 MPH top speed and a range of 7-12 miles. This is the hoverboard that set the standard for those that have followed.
It is UL 2272 Fire Safe and has a 3-hour battery life. Moreover, it gives you the best all around value for your money and packs in the features you want.
So without further ado, here are the top hoverboards for 2018.
Table of Contents:
- Hoverboards Compared
- Hoverboard Buyer’s Guide
- Top Questions About Hoverboards Answered
3 Best Hoverboards Compared 2018
OVERVIEW Best Hoverboard for the Money Swagtron 1 Check Price Best All Terrain Hoverboard Epikgo Self-Balancing Hoverboard Check Price Best for Heavy People & Adults Halo Rover Hoverboard Check Price
- 3-hour battery life
- Range of 7-12 miles
- Charging time is 1 hour
- No Bluetooth and lack of GPS
- No accompanying app
- Build Quality could be better. Scratches easily.
The Swagtron T1 remains the best hoverboard for kids and adults. It supports a maximum weight of 220 lbs. This model is durable, easy to use, and is safe for everyone since it is UL 2272 compliant. The ABS outer covering is not only durable but also fire-resistant. It features a SentriShield battery pack to prevent overheating and a Safestop feature that lets you get off the device safely while adding to the efficiency of the battery. That battery can be charged in about an hour and you are ready to roll. It even sports 2 learning modes for beginners. This model will offer you a smooth ride, great battery life and you will be using it for a long time to come. Great features combined with safety make this model a true winner in the field. It is the best all-around hoverboard that you can buy today.
#2 Epikgo Self-Balancing Hoverboard – Best All Terrain Hoverboard
- All-terrain 8.5″ tires
- Charges in under 2 hours
- Maximum speed of 10 MPH
- New riders may have a hard time with the large tires
- Price is higher than some other models but well worth it.
For those who like to trade the sidewalk and roads for a more off-road experience, this hoverboard is a dream come true. Especially since you won’t have to worry about potential damage to your hoverboard. The Epikgo self-balancing hoverboard should be your number 1 choice for off-road adventures. With large 8.5 inch tires, powerful 400W dual hub motors, 1P56 certification, great handling, quick charging and excellent range, it is a good investment. You will find it to be a stable ride on a wide variety of terrain and it has ample foot space for comfort. It will handle any terrain, whether it is grass, mud, sand and more. It sports a strong ABS body with aluminum fenders, a quick charge of under 2 hours and a top speed of 10 MPH. A 1-year limited warranty covers parts and labor from the manufacturer.
#3 Halo Rover – Best For Heavy People & Adults
- Powerful 800W motor
- Maximum load of 265 lbs.
- Bluetooth speakers and mobile app
- Weighing 32 lbs it is quite heavy
- Expensive compared to other models, but you get a great set of features for the price.
If you are looking for a hoverboard that can handle any terrain, this one will do so effortlessly and will deliver an excellent riding experience. The Halo Rover Hoverboard also has the safety credentials that you want in a hoverboard. It is UL 2272 certified hoverboard with a UL certified LG battery. This model also delivers an impressively durable build with advanced water resistance. Rain or shine it will perform. The 8.5 inch wheels will handle any terrain and it can even climb hills with grades up to 20 degrees. This Halo Board also includes LED headlights to improve visibility for riders and pedestrians alike. You can have complete control over your hover board using a smartphone app that lets you monitor power, speed, distance traveled and more. The app can also adjust the speed, steering sensitivity, and other features. This is a solid choice for most experienced hoverboard users.
#4 Segway Minipro Self-Balancing Personal Transport – Best Bluetooth Hoverboard
- Made from aircraft grade material for a durable and lightweight frame
- 800W motors
- Easy to ride and maneuver
- Long charging time
- Automatic speed reduction keeps things under 10 MPH
- Customers report issues that some units do not charge properly
The Segway Minipro Self-Balancing Personal Transport is the best all-around hoverboard for those who don’t have experience riding personal transports. The adjustable knee bar makes it easy for new riders and experienced riders to maneuver. It is UL 2272 compliant, with a lithium-ion battery and features IP54 certification so that it is resistant to water. The unit is lightweight and the large 10.5 tires deliver a smooth and satisfying rider experience, which also means that it absorbs shocks nicely. The customizable LED lights keep you visible and safe at night. The Segway Minipro Self-Balancing Personal Transport has a maximum speed of 10 MPH and a range of 14 miles. The powerful 800-watt motors round it all out. It also features 3 riding modes and a mobile app that provides tutorials, an anti-theft feature and also acts as a remote control. This is a solid hoverboard, especially for the inexperienced.
#5 Razor Hovertrax 2.0 – Longest Range
- Silent Operation
- Detachable battery that extends battery life
- Range of 15 miles
- Low battery life
- Top speed could be better
- Not water resistant
The Razor Hovertrax 2.0 Hoverboard is a definite improvement over the 1.0 model. Fans of the company will be happy to upgrade to this model. It is UL 2272 certified hoverboard to meet the industry’s electrical safety standards. It has a cruising speed of 8+ mph with silent 350-watt motors and a run-time of up to 60 minutes of continuous use for riders up to 220 lbs. The company’s advanced Ever Balance Technology and non-slip rubber foot pads make it a simple to use hoverboard for any child or adult. The detachable battery means that you can extend your battery life. The range on this unit is 15 miles. While the top speed could be better, it offers silent operation, and ease of use that both make up for it. New features on this model include the cool-blue LED light bar display, fender bumpers, LED battery power indicator, and two riding modes for training and normal riding. The price is just right for this model if you are looking for a budget hoverboard that is durable and easy to use.
#6 Swagtron T5 – Best Cheap Hoverboard
- 5 level battery indicator
- Light and durable
- Range of 10 miles
- 5 hour charging time
- Low speed of 7 MPH
- Not water resistant
The Swagtron T5 is perfect for anyone looking for an entry level hoverboard at a great price point. This is a good first “best hoverboard” for any user. You will get great functionality and features that you would expect from a budget hoverboard. This unit still does it all and is easy to ride. The light and durable construction make it easy to use and give it a long life. This one is really portable, weighing just 18.9 lbs. It has a maximum load of 187 lbs, is UL 2272 compliant, features SentryShield Battery protection and a Smart Battery Management system. The air-tight aluminum alloy body protects the battery, mainboard, and gears from heat dispersion, making sure you are safe. It delivers a range of 10 miles and has a battery level indicator so that you know where your charge is at all times. It also features a handy learning mode for new riders. For those not ready for bigger and more fully featured hoverboards, this is the perfect model to choose. Many newcomers are flocking to the T5.
#7 Swagtron T580 – Best Hoverboard Under $300
- Bluetooth enabled
- Comes with app
- Smooth ride
- Low max speed
- Low range
- Mid-range power
The Swagtron T580 is a great middle of the road model from Swagtron. While not the best hoverboard on the market, packs in some very good features like the fact that it is Bluetooth hoverboard enabled, allowing you to change modes, check the battery, access maps, and play music. The maximum speed is only 7.5 mph, but it has a respectable ability to climb inclines of up to 30° with its 150W dual motors. This model has 3 modes and travels up to 8 miles per charge, with a maximum weight load of 220 lbs. 6.5″ hard rubber tire give you a smooth ride. Your charging time will be 90-100 minutes. A single charge will yield a maximum range of 8 miles. It also comes with an app that is compatible with both iPhone and Android. There is a reason that this model sells. The Swagtron T580 is a great middle of the road model that delivers the features that most users want at a great price point.
#8 Skque Self Balancing Scooter
- Smart battery charges quickly
- Built-in Bluetooth speakers
- Solid construction
- Low max speed
- Lack of smartphone app
The Skque Self balancing Scooter provides a comfortable ride and features a high-quality chassis, giving it superior durability for a long life. Another nice feature is the built-in gyros that give the ride some added stability. As far as riding around your neighborhood or making quick rides back and forth to work, this one is a great choice. It will also be ideal for you if you only travel short distances. The LED lights will keep you visible at night. This models weighs just 22 lbs. Other features include 15 degrees of climbing, a max speed of about 7 to 10 MPH, a charging time of 1 to 2 hours and built-in Bluetooth speakers. It will hold a rider of up to 220 lbs. It lacks an app to add some extra features, but this is a solid basic model for kids or adults who just want ride around their local area. If you don’t need any extra bells and whistles, it is a great choice for the price.
#9 Hoverzon S Self Balancing Hoverboard
- Smart battery management
- Range up to 12 miles
- Solid construction
- No Bluetooth speaker
- Low top speed
- Not waterproof
The Hoverzon S Self Balancing Hoverboard has several great features that all make for a simple and fun experience. It has a top speed of only 8 MPH and a full charge will give you up to 12 miles distance. Construction is solid and durable, making it safe to use. It offers several riding modes so that users of all skill levels can enjoy and experience the best that this hoverboard has to offer. If it is an entry level hoverboard that you are looking for, you can’t go wrong with this one. Other features include 250W dual motors, a maximum weight is 220 lbs, gyroscopic motors that make your ride smoother, LED headlights, battery indicators, and smart battery management to keep things extra safe.
#10 One Wheel – Fastest Hoverboard
- The fastest hoverboard on the market; 15mph
- Ultra-rugged and robust
- The most fun self-balancing scooter to ride
- Expensive; $1500
- 4 Mile Range
The One Wheel is the fastest hoverboard on the market today, achieving a top speed of 15mph. It’s because of this that we caution anyone, children or adult, when riding this device. Top speed aside, it’s also one of the most challenging scooters to ride. And while it has some balancing tech it does take some acumen to ride. But it’s because of all these things that it’s one of the most rewarding and fun self-balancing scooters on the market today. So what’s not to love? Two things: price and range. The One Wheel costs $1,500 and and can only travel up to 4 miles, really making it ideal for city dwellers. But with that in mind it’s fairly easy to carry and is ultra robust thanks to its metal build and go-kart wheel, all of which that can take a beating.
#11 GoTrax Hoverfly XL Hoverboard – Fastest Hoverboard
- Rugged build and wheels for off-roading
- 12-mile range
- Charges in 1 hour
- Heavy at 33lbs
- Not amazing on wet
The Hoverfly XL Hoverboard from GoTrax is designed right here in the USA. Denver, CL to be more specific. Moreover, it’s UL 2272 tested and certified making it safe as can be from a fire safety standpoint. Dual 350w motors mean some serious torque and with that a top speed of 11.2 mph with pro mode. Total capacity is 220lbs, so even large adults can ride this Hoverboard without issue. Of course, with the two aforementioned features, it’s important to keep in mind that your range will vary. Though at 12 miles of total battery capacity, at even half that, you should be pretty wellcovered for your daily commuting needs. Other features you ask? A built-in Bluetooth speaker, 30-degree hill climbing, and 8.5″ rugged wheels.
Hoverboard Buyers Guide
Below are the top features you should look for in a hoverboard.
Safety First – UL 2272 Fire Safety Certification
- Your number one concern is safety. A few years back, hoverboards were known to catch on fire and since then the industry has done the responsible thing and made them much safer. You would be hard-pressed to find any reports of fire today. First and foremost, look for UL 2272 Certification on any hoverboard that you buy. That means it has passed all safety tests and is safe for you to ride.
The Correct Tire Size For the Terrain At Hand
- Tire size is an important consideration when it comes to hoverboards. They come in a variety of sizes. Some are smaller and some are larger. Tire size affects not only the stability of the ride but also where you can go with it and what kind of terrain it will be able to handle. If you are looking to simply sidewalk-surf around the neighborhood, smaller tires will do the trick. If you are looking to do more and go “off-road” you’ll want larger tires that will handle more types of terrain better.
The Ideal Battery life and Charging Times
- Longer battery life is good, but it isn’t everything. For instance, what good is a long battery life if your hoverboard only goes 5 MPH. You want to balance a long-lasting battery with speed, performance and charge time. Look for a long battery life in a model that also delivers the speed that you want.
- Charging times are another important factor to consider. You don’t want to wait 6 hours to charge your battery if it is only going to give you 3 hours of drive time and a wimpy 6-mile range. Again, what you want to look for is a balance that works for you. These days, a 1 or 2 hour charge time is acceptable, balanced against performance and how long that battery lasts while riding.
Make Sure Your Can Go The Distance
- Along with battery life and charge times, the range that your hoverboard delivers on a single charge is one of the top considerations. Look for the best hoverboard range that you can get in order to get the most out of your purchase. A great range with short charging times means less waiting around and more going places. A good range for the best hoverboards is 9-12 miles.
A Solid Yet Lightweight Construction
- Like any other vehicle, one of your top concerns should be quality construction. You want a tough and rugged frame that will last. Some models even offer scratch resistant materials. Choosing a strong and solid hoverboard means that it will have a longer lifetime in service.
- Along with a solid construction, you also want a lightweight unit. A lighter hoverboard generally means more speed and a better battery capacity. It also makes for a smoother ride.